Sunday, February 1, 2015

Working with Polymer Clay


Making Miniature Doll House Food

Almost a year ago now, my little grandaughter Raya was born. My mom found an old shelf on the side of the road and gave it to me and I immediately went to work turning it into a refurbished dollhouse. Click Here to see Dollhouse.

As I was ordering little miniatures foods for her to one day enjoy with her new dollhouse, I started to wonder how hard it is to make them. I then decided to launch into the miniature foods making fun!

I am making this page as a cheat sheet for myself and maybe it will help others too while they are learning. It is a collection of my "go to" pages on how to do stuff related to clays, glazing, baking, beads, miniature foods, and basically anything to do with Polymer clay.



My Favorite Cheat Sheets






Materials You Will Need
(Click to see price and details)

Clay

There is several different clays available and each one seems to be good for different projects.

  • Fimo: Used by caners.(Now available in classic of soft)
  • Cernit: Usually used by dollmakers. Translucent, skin like look.
  • Kato: It can be very stiff and takes longer than other clays to condition, but it's very strong and flexible after baking.
  • Pardo: It's made from beeswax and other natural ingredients. Easy to condition and strong after baking. 
  • Premo: is a medium soft clay that bakes with excellent strength and flexibility.
  • Sculpey: Available at Walmart which is convenient.  Easy to condition. Very soft but isn't flexible and can be brittle after baking. 




Glaze and Sealers

There are different sealers and glazes that people prefer, but so far I have found they all seem to be working pretty well. Make sure to get all the finishes though, matte, glossy and satin. Each foood will need something different, you may want to make frosting or veggies shiny while leavinga  hamburger or cookie either satin or matte. Really all polymer clay is plastic once baked so sealer is really only necessary if you want it to be shiny or seal in certain affects like using chalk for powdered donuts.





Transparent Liquid

This is for the affect of liquid or translucency like for glaze on a donut or cookie. I am yet to find my favorite and would appreciate comments in the comment section below if you have a favorite.







Sculpting Tools

These are the tools that I have found very helpful.

Roller



I bought ones with handles on them that were more expensive but so far, the only one I find helpful is this one. This is used to roll the clay out flat so you can cut out shapes.

Clay Slicer

This is used a lot in sculpting and very important to have. I just bought a long razor and use that.



Tool Set

These pretty much contain everything you will need to make textures, holes and all the little dents and rivets you will need to make in miniature foods such as on frosting and breads.




Stop by my Craft Shop!

Some of my Favorite Miniature Foods Tutorials









No comments:

Post a Comment